Our Hygge House at Terroux Peace Garden and Event Centre is a newly built Airbnb on our property near Hall. The house is one of our long-term dreams for this property.
Hygge House is a four-bedroom house with large light-filled living and eating areas, comfortable sleeping areas, fresh large well equipped kitchen and sparkling bathrooms – one master bedroom ensuite with a shower and one main bathroom with both bath and shower.
Hygge is a Danish word (say it hue-guh), denoting a quality of cosiness and comfortable hospitality, engendering a feeling of contentment and well-being. That’s what we hope our guests will feel when they are with us, and when they leave for home.
The house looks out on the beautiful Brindabella Hills and is set on a 60 hectare semi-rural property. Despite its rural setting, Terroux is just 30 minutes from Civic, Canberra’s central city area.
It is about 20 minutes drive to local shopping centres at Casey and Scullin and about 10 minutes drive to the Gold Creek shopping and tourist hub.
For your comfort and convenience in all weathers and times of the year you can enjoy:
- air conditioning and electric heating
- the Terroux gardens to wander in – Peter is happy to take you on a tour and talk about the work undertaken to reclaim the land from degraded sheep country with tree plantations and decorative gardens
The house is provisioned with tea and coffee making items, toiletries, all linen, flat screen smart TV, washing machine and dryer, BBQ, a selection of games and books.
Upon arrival you will find milk in the fridge and a loaf of fresh bread on the bench. You’ll also find a bottle of local wine and selection of local chocolates as a welcome gift from us.
You will need to bring your food supplies for any meals you want to have in the house.
We are close to wineries, restaurants and regional galleries. We are also closer than you might imagine to all the national institutions and attractions of the National Capital – the National Gallery, National Museum, National Library, Questacon, Museum of Australian Democracy at Old Parliament House, the National Archives, National Film and Sound Archive and the Canberra Theatre.
A folder of brochures and information about local places to visit will be in the house when you arrive.
Things to be aware of:
- This is a working property with some livestock and these areas are out of bounds except when with the owners.
- In this part of the country, we have brown snakes as part of our native fauna. While there is no need to be afraid about this, it is wise to be alert when walking on the property, especially in warmer months and when the breeding season is upon us.
- Kangaroos also abound, and caution is required at all times when driving between the Barton Highway and Terroux, but especially at dusk.
Bookings and inquiries:
- Minimum stay of 2 nights.
- Bookings: https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/48081094
- Phone: +61 419 477 959
- Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Do not hesitate to contact us if you have further questions. We look forward to welcoming you to Hygge House at Terroux.
Barbara Baikie and Peter Fletcher